Join us for the 25th Anniversary of the Youth Tour in 2020
• November 1, 2019
• March 6, 2020
• April 5, 2020
Information Packets Due
• June 6-10, 2020
Youth Tour Dates
Since 1995, FRS has hosted the Youth Tour to thousands of high school students from across rural America. The Youth Tour is a chance to for students to visit our nation’s capital and learn about rural broadband, share their community’s story with key legislative, regulatory and government figures as well as a forum for them to meet and interact with their peers from other rural communities.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can attend?
NTCA member companies sponsor a student from their local community to attend the tour. FRS leaves the selection of the participant entirely up to the telco. Students must be aged 16 or 17 at the time of the youth tour.
- Why should my NTCA member company send a student or chaperone?
• Educates students about the policy making process through meetings with Congressional and FCC staff members.
• Students gain insight into the challenges of providing quality broadband in their rural communities.
• An opportunity to visit famous historical sites including the Lincoln Memorial, the U.S. Capitol, Mount Vernon and Arlington National Cemetery.
• Allows students to meet youth from rural areas across the country, develop leadership skills and help point their communities toward the future.
- How to Register?
Registration is easy. For the first time this year, registration is digital. Register as you would for any NTCA event by visiting the NTCA member central homepage.
- How long is the tour?
The tour spans across 5 days, June 6-10, 2020. The students arrive on Saturday, June 6 and leave Wednesday, June 10. We ask that attendees arrive Saturday, June 6 between 12:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. and leave Wednesday, June 10 between 7:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- What is the cost?
The cost of registration is $1, 075 and covers all expenses except airfare and includes:
• Four nights hotel accommodations (2 students per room)
• Three meals a day
• Bus transportation to all activities
• Admission to ticketed events
• Special entertainment
• Student dance with D.J.
• Youth Tour t-shirt
• Student “yearbook”
• Gratuities for services
*All expenses are paid by the NTCA member sponsor. The trip is all expenses paid for students and chaperones.
- How many students can my broadband provider send?
Each NTCA member company may select 2 students from their community to attend.
- Can telco employees or directors attend?
Yes, NTCA member companies can also sponsor a chaperone to attend the Youth Tour.
- How do I volunteer to help?
FRS relies heavily on Chaperones. With over 100 students, chaperones help FRS staff ensure that students have a safe and educational experience. Serving as a chaperone is a wonderful opportunity for a staff member of your organization or local educator. Chaperoning is a critical responsibility and is essential for a successful youth tour. If you're interested in volunteering, contact Brock Streauslin.
- More on being a chaperone:
• Each chaperone will be responsible for at least five students at all times.
• Each adult in attendance will be considered a chaperone and will be assigned complete chaperone responsibilities.
• Chaperones will be housed on the same floor as the students, but will have a private room.
• Chaperones must be prepared for 12-hour days and be able to walk long distances.
- Important Dates
• November 1, 2019 - Registration Opens
• March 6, 2020 - Last day to Register
• April 5, 2020 - All student and chaperone information packets are due
• May 1, 2020 - Last day to cancel and receive a full refund